Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Soup with Rice

I was in my garage cleaning it out ( I found things no man should have to touch let alone pick up to toss in the trash) and it took me much longer then I was hoping. By the time I was ready to quit for the night it was real cold in the garage, and then it struct me what to do for this weeks recipe. Now that the weather is turning and it is getting cooler outside. I thought I would bring you something to keep warm with, and it is really simple to make. There is nothing like a good bowl of soup to get you by on those cool evenings. So here it is a simple pumpkin soup.

A small note here before I get started. I recommend fresh pumpkin since caned usually has other spices in it and you cant beat fresh, and if you like your soup more creamy go with half and half or cream.


Ingredients:
2lb 7oz of fresh pumpkin
3 cps chicken stock
3 cps skimmed low fat milk (I prefer to use heavy creamer)
2-3 tsp sugar (depending on your taste)
1/2 cup cooked rice
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp ground cinnamon


Instructions:

1)Remove the seeds and cut off the peal of the pumpkin and throw them away. Take the flesh that is left and chop it up.

2)Place in a medium pot the pumpkin, stock, milk, sugar, and seasoning. Bring a boil stirring frequently, then lower to a simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.

3) Drain and save the liquid, then puree the pumpkin in a food processor

4) place the pureed pumpkin and the saved liquid back into the pot and bring back to a boil, then add the rice and lower to a simmer for 3-5 minutes. Check seasoning to make sure it is to your liking pour into bowls, garnish with a dusting of more ground cinnamon




Hope you like the soup, and try to keep warm.

          DJ
(AKA: The Noodle Ninja)

No comments:

Post a Comment