Thursday, April 12, 2012

Borscht

This Recipe is dear to my heart. It's been in my family for as long as I can remember. It is my comfort food for when I'm sick or feeling down. At my family get together's when I was young always revolved around this dish and another called KasNip, and my Grandmother on my mothers side made it the best. And this secret dish is Borscht. Now this version is not the traditional version. Yes it has beets, but also a lot of other veggies. When I describe this soup I tell people its vegetable soup with beets. Now lots of people when they think beets they think of the sliced pickled beets that come out of a can. Some people like those but not I. No way, uh uh. And Beets, well fresh beets don't taste anything like that. So give them another chance, and give this soup a chance you'll love it. Just don't judge a book by its cover. I'll explain after.



Borscht

Ingredients:


2 cups of all vegetables (Beets, Carrots, Celery, Bell Peppers, Cabbage, Potato, and Onion) 
4 tsp dill weed
1 stick butter
3 bay leaves
1 lg can whole tomatoes
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 Tbsp pickling spice (tied up in cheese cloth) (I use a portion of a clean pantyhose{don't laugh it works})
Water (about 10 cups)
1 ½ pints heavy creamer
3 tsp vinegar


Directions:
1) In a large pot place about six cups of water and begin to bring to a boil. 
2) Clean, peel (beets and potatoes), and chop all veggies.
3) Add only the beets to the pot (it will take a lot longer for them to cook)(add more water if needed to completely cover the beets).
4) Add the dill weed, butter, bay leaves, and pickling spice to the pot.
5) With your hand crush the whole and stewed tomatoes and Them to the pot, and let cook for 20 min. Stirring occasionally.
6) Add the rest of the vegetables.
7) Add water so that the water line is about one inch above the vegetables, and bring to a boil.
8)  Let cook and stir occasionally until all vegetables are fork tender (especially the beets).
9) Reduce heat to simmer and add the creamer and vinegar.
10) Let simmer for 10 min and enjoy.




As I said I would explain the book and cove comment. When you add the Cream the soup takes on a pinkish color, that some of my friends have dubbed pepto bismol pink. Hence Don't judge a book by the its color. This soup freezes well, and my Grandmother always had some on hand. When family would come over she would pull some down and we would have Borscht whit the meal we had. This version of Borscht comes from Germany, but sadly I didn't get to find out what part before my Grandmother died. Rarely do people who try this soup dislike it. And I hope you enjoy this soup as much as me and my family do. 
Well until next time. Eat well!

DJ
(aka: The Noodle Ninja)

No comments:

Post a Comment