Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spicy Steak Rub

        Marinating meat before cooking is almost always the way to go.  However sometimes you didn't figure out what your were going to cook, or you get home late and weren't able to let the meat soak in the liquid goodness even for the minimum time. This happened all the time at my house when I was in the Navy. both my wife and I would be coming home from the naval hospital and be dead tired...hmm maybe that was a bad choice of woods, anyway.
We didn't have a heck of a lot on extra cash back in those day, no wait, we really never had a whole lot of extra cash. Well to make my point we needed to cook the meal we had down for that night, so enter the Rub. 


Rubs are simple and quick any one can make one, and most times you can whip one up with what you have in your spice cabinet. Rubs can even be used on meat that has been marinated to give it that little extra punch. Now not all spices go together, and not all spices go with the food you choose. This is where my wife and mother-in-law would expound on one of my very first attempts at cooking. The infamous hamburger, lemon pepper, cream of mushroom fiasco (hey it sounded good at the time), they will never let me live that one down. No mater how great of a recipe I come up with. But hey it keeps me humble and grounded. Below is a simple spicy rub but feel free to experiment just start off making a little, just in case it doesn't taste as great as I, I mean you thought it would.



Spicy Steak Rub


Ingredients:

·     1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns, coarsely ground
·     1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
·     1 1/2 teaspoons whole dill seeds, coarsely crushed
·     1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, coarsely crushed
·     1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
·     1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder 

I went to a oriental market and picked up a mortar pestle to crush my dry ingredients but I have used a spoon and a bowl in the past. Work the rub into the meat and let set for a few minutes before cooking. hope you like this rub. I will put more up latter. 



Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!

DJ
(aka: The Noodle Ninja)

No comments:

Post a Comment